Monday, May 4, 2009

Where the hell did he come from?

Slow work day so I thought I would toss a post on the blog…

Saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine last night.

I liked it. Decent twists, great action. Films like these are really hard to pull off in my opinion and here’s why.

Everyone in the comic universe knows where Wolverine is headed through comics or the three X-Men flicks. This makes it hard to create a compelling story that tells us where he started and takes us up to the point in the first X-Men movie where he’s kicking the shit it out of people in a dive somewhere in Canada.

I think Jackman did a decent job holding the story. Plus he runs around a lot of the time shirtless, sometimes pantless, with his muscles glistening which should please the ladies. I thought Liev Schreiber was awesome as Sabertooth.

I suspect they would have been better served had they stayed truer to the Wolverine: Origins comic book series which I found compelling.

I give it a B-.

Writing is going well. On page 30 or so of the rewrite. Would love to get the script registered and passed out to a small circle of folks soon.

I think for my next story I am going to do a thinner outline. I found that while I was doing my rewrite some really good ideas started popping out on the page. While I still think I need at least a high level road map of where I am going I like the freedom of surprising myself on the page.

I highly recommend visiting Scriptshadow (See the blog link on the right side of the page) every weekday and reading the scripts he posts. It’s educational and for me at least it is a very good motivator to write.

That is all.

-Jim

2 comments:

Emily Blake said...

Was Liev Shreiber also shirtless or pantsless at all? Because that would also please the ladies.

Jim Endecott said...

I don't think so. He just played a mean bad ass with slightly larger incisors.

Which may have been a play to the Twilight crowd... who knows.