Friday, April 4, 2008

My Eyes are Bleeding

I’ve been reading spec scripts from www.triggerstreet.com lately. It’s a great way to learn and you need to prime your account with reviews before you can post your own work. I will be the first to admit I don’t know shit about shit when it comes to screenwriting but son of a bitch there are some brutally crappy scripts out there.

Simple grammar and spelling errors make me groan. Then I read an action block where the writer tells me the same information over and over, drilling it into my skull with a dull spoon.

Hey, hats off to them for finishing a script. Something I have yet to accomplish as of this posting. It takes a lot of work to complete and a lot of guts to post it on the internet so ass hats like me can rip it apart.

However, at least spare me the pain and bring you’re A game OK? The good news is when you read scripts you see what works and what doesn’t. Every now and then you get a good one that is enjoyable and you blaze right through it. The not so good ones feel like your trying to run in knee deep water.

I can only hope I am this objective on my own writing to recognize my screw ups.

-Jim

0 comments: